Monday, February 11, 2013

Are You There God, It's Me Sarah...

I've spent my life attending church and Sunday school with my family.  I was baptized and confirmed as an Episcopalian.  Yet I've always struggled with feeling a connection with God.  I wander away from Him and return.  I pray and beg for help yet neglect to give thanks.  I read and struggle to believe.  In a modern world where Christianity and God no longer plays a prominent part, it becomes harder to continue down a path of faith especially when your dedication has always been shaky.  But the farther I've gotten from God, the worst I've felt and the more I've struggled with daily life.  And  I've realized that I need God and His grace.  In the wise words of the Gospel of Matthew:

"Ask, and it shall be given to you.  Seek, and ye shall find.  Knock, and it shall be opened to you"
-Matthew 7:7

Now I am seeking the Truth, I am seeking God, I am seeking His grace.  And I can think of no better time that the Lenten period to begin my journey closer to God.  I'm giving up my excuses, my denial, and my stubborn pride that has kept me from Him.  As Jesus wandered in the desert for forty days, I will wander in the Word.  I will pray, I will read, and I will ask for the love that I know God feels for me.

To help guide me on my path, I will be following a reading plan via Youversion called Rethink Life: 40 Day Devotional.  I'm rethinking my life and how I've lived away from His grace.   I've got 40 days to change my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment